History & Political Science Research Databases
Includes eBooks in the Humanities fields (e.g., Anthropology, Economics, Geography, History, Law, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology) from common authors and titles to the more obscure.
The definitive index of literature covering the history and culture of the United States and Canada from prehistory to the present. Focuses on academic journals but also includes citations and links to book and media reviews.
Search here for federal publications, including historical and current publications, and find direct links to those which are available online. Users can search by authoring agency, title, subject, and general key word, and more.
Gain access to the wide breadth of quality data collected by the U.S. Census Bureau. Look under the Topics or Data categories to jump into pre-collected/sorted data (Topics) or the raw data itself (Data).
A comprehensive source for theory and research in international affairs, with a wide range of resources including papers, occasional papers series from NGOs, foundation-funded research projects, proceedings from conferences, books, journals articles, and policy briefs.
Provides up-to-date information and news on the countries of the world in a concise and useful form. Includes cultural, political, economic, and business information and maps.
The Decades collection details American history and culture from 1920 - 2000, covering both the United States and Canada. It includes the following individually searchable reference works.
To search just one of the individual decade reference works, use the links below:
- The Twenties in America
- Examines the iconic personalities and moments of this uproarious decade, 1920-1929.
- The Thirties in America
- Comprehensive coverage of the years 1930-1939, paying special attention to the impact of the Great Depression on North America in particular and the world in general.
- The Forties in America
- Comprehensive coverage of the years 1940-1949, paying special attention to World War II, including the essential military details of the war — major campaigns, selected battles, important weapons, and principal military commanders — while placing considerable emphasis on how those and other aspects of the war affected government, business, culture, and daily lives.
- The Fifties in America
- Comprehensive coverage of the impact of the 1950's with topics such as rock and roll, Elvis Presley, and the Brown v. Board of Education decision in 1954.
- The Sixties in America
- Comprehensive coverage of the impact of the 1960's, including in-depth coverage of all aspects of the three major events of the 1960's that give the decade its distinctive character — the Civil Rights movement, the social revolution, and the Vietnam War — while also surveying important developments in the arts, science and technology, business and the economy, government and politics, and gender issues.
- The Seventies in America
- Comprehensive coverage of the impact of the 1970's, including Watergate, the Vietnam War, the environmental movement, the energy crisis, the women's movement, and even disco.
- The Eighties in America
- Focuses on the events, movements, people, and trends in popular culture, literature, art, sports, science, technology, economics, and politics during the 1980's.
- The Nineties in America
- Highlights the important events, movements, people, and trends in popular culture, literature, art, sports, science, technology, economics, and politics during the 1990's.
- The 2000's in America
- Highlights the important events, movements, people, and trends in popular culture, literature, art, sports, science, technology, economics, and politics during the 2000's.
This Salem History reference resource includes more than 600 biographies of notorious personages, covering worldwide figures from ancient times to the present with an emphasis on North America and the West (e.g. Attila the Hun, Genghis Khan, Idi Amin, Ted Bundy, and Osama Bin Laden).
Covers all aspects of human impact to the environment, including scholarly, government and general-interest titles on global warming, green building, pollution, sustainable agriculture, renewable energy, recycling, and more.
Brings together content from books, journals, magazines, biographies, historical documents, photos, maps, and videos covering historical topics.
Hoosier State Chronicles is operated by the Indiana State Library and funded by the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act. It aims to provide free, online access to high quality digital images of Indiana's historic newspapers by digitizing the ISL collection, and assisting other organizations in making their collections digitally available.
Incorporates scholarly content from hundreds of journals along with reviews of many kinds of books, performances, and events.
A digital archive of primary source materials from Indiana's history. Includes a wide variety of old documents: personal narratives and memoirs, pamphlets and political speeches, sermons and songs, legal treatises, books, and children's books.
Represents aspects of collections from libraries, archives, museums, and other cultural institutions from the state of Indiana, through digitized books, manuscripts, photographs, newspapers, maps, and other media.
Provides searchable full text of the complete back files for hundreds of important scholarly journals in a broad spectrum of topics and disciplines. Coverage generally includes the first volume through issues published prior to the most recent 3-5 years (current issues are not available in JSTOR).
Offers 65 language courses and ESL instruction in 17 languages, including Spanish, Koine Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Mandarin Chinese, Korean, and several versions of Arabic. This is an effective and multi-learning style approach to learning language both for the casual traveler and the serious cross-lingual speaker.
Combines in-depth analysis with iconic primary source documents from ancient times to the present and from virtually every geographical region.
Explores primary sources and sacred texts of the world's major religious traditions from ancient times to the present and all geographic regions.
Offers news and scholarly articles pertaining to all branches of the military and government.
Covers all aspects of the past and current state of military affairs through journal literature.
Last revised September 27, 2016 - 07:38 AM