Encyclopedias, etc. Research Databases
Provides biographical information for thousands of significant people throughout history, around the world, and across all disciplines and subject areas.
Research authoritative medical information from such fields as medicine, nursing, dentistry, veterinary medicine, the health care system, pre-clinical sciences, and much more.
Provides complete biographical and bibliographical information and references on more than 120,000 U.S. and international authors.
Provides access to encyclopedias, dictionaries, thesauri, and books of quotations, as well as a range of subject-specific titles.
The Decades collection details American history and culture from 1920 - 2000, covering both the United States and Canada. It includes the following individually searchable reference works.
To search just one of the individual decade reference works, use the links below:
- The Twenties in America
- Examines the iconic personalities and moments of this uproarious decade, 1920-1929.
- The Thirties in America
- Comprehensive coverage of the years 1930-1939, paying special attention to the impact of the Great Depression on North America in particular and the world in general.
- The Forties in America
- Comprehensive coverage of the years 1940-1949, paying special attention to World War II, including the essential military details of the war — major campaigns, selected battles, important weapons, and principal military commanders — while placing considerable emphasis on how those and other aspects of the war affected government, business, culture, and daily lives.
- The Fifties in America
- Comprehensive coverage of the impact of the 1950's with topics such as rock and roll, Elvis Presley, and the Brown v. Board of Education decision in 1954.
- The Sixties in America
- Comprehensive coverage of the impact of the 1960's, including in-depth coverage of all aspects of the three major events of the 1960's that give the decade its distinctive character — the Civil Rights movement, the social revolution, and the Vietnam War — while also surveying important developments in the arts, science and technology, business and the economy, government and politics, and gender issues.
- The Seventies in America
- Comprehensive coverage of the impact of the 1970's, including Watergate, the Vietnam War, the environmental movement, the energy crisis, the women's movement, and even disco.
- The Eighties in America
- Focuses on the events, movements, people, and trends in popular culture, literature, art, sports, science, technology, economics, and politics during the 1980's.
- The Nineties in America
- Highlights the important events, movements, people, and trends in popular culture, literature, art, sports, science, technology, economics, and politics during the 1990's.
- The 2000's in America
- Highlights the important events, movements, people, and trends in popular culture, literature, art, sports, science, technology, economics, and politics during the 2000's.
Gale Virtual Reference Library is a database of encyclopedias and specialized reference sources for multidisciplinary research.
This Salem History reference resource includes more than 600 biographies of notorious personages, covering worldwide figures from ancient times to the present with an emphasis on North America and the West (e.g. Attila the Hun, Genghis Khan, Idi Amin, Ted Bundy, and Osama Bin Laden).
Provides access to health & medical journals, hundreds of pamphlets, health-related videos, and articles from general interest publications and related reference titles.
Combines in-depth analysis with iconic primary source documents from ancient times to the present and from virtually every geographical region.
Explores primary sources and sacred texts of the world's major religious traditions from ancient times to the present and all geographic regions.
Brings together in an easy-to-use interface disease and drug overviews, care plans, relevant journal results and animated anatomy and physiology diagrams to complement the core encyclopedia texts, perfect for those interested in the nursing field.
Offers searchable access to the vast content of Grove Art Online and Oxford art reference in one location. Includes biographies, encyclopedia entries, and images.
Provides information on the meaning, history, and pronunciation of more than 500,000 words.
Search The Oxford Dictionary of Music, 2nd Rev. ed. (2006); Colin Larkin's Encyclopedia of Popular Music; and The Oxford Companion to Music (2002), which offers thousands of articles on composers, performers, conductors, individual works, instruments, notation, forms, and genres.
Offers multidisciplinary, fully-indexed, extensively linked access to dictionaries, language reference sources, and subject reference works published by Oxford University Press.
Offers thousands of college and graduate school entries and identifies scholarships. Includes online practice tests and test prep eBooks.
Last revised September 27, 2016 - 07:38 AM